Friday, January 7, 2011

POTS Blog Review

For a class assignment, I am required to read a blog of interest, and respond to it by summarizing it and giving my own opinions on this blog.

The blog I chose to review is about a syndrome, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, I was diagnosed with about three years ago. It has been a very debilitating syndrome. After I was diagnosed with it in February of my freshman year, I was unable to attend school my entire sophomore year. My junior year I was gradually able to attend more classes, up to four a day with the help of my doctors and family.

This blog is written by one of my doctors, Dr. Blair Grubb. The article shares information about the history of POTS, giving examples dating from the 1800s of doctors who did studies on patients, who would now be diagnosed with POTS. Another topic Dr. Grubb talks about is the classification of POTS, that I have never heard about. He tells about the two main subgroups, and why a patient would be divided into a certain subgroup.

Although I already knew most of the information he shared about evaluation and management, the research he shared about the timeline for patients getting better, and the studies that are being done to learn more about how to better control symptoms gives me more hope for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment